Spinal Cord Injury
Don't let a spinal cord injury slow you down - get physical therapy with Vibra Rehab Hospital of Lake Travis, TX
Our program for spinal cord injury and neurological disease rehabilitation is based on a continuum of care provided by a multidisciplinary team of rehabilitation specialists. Patients and their families are integral members of the team and participate in the development of the treatment plan. The goals of the program are:
- Educate patients and their families about disease process, skin integrity, pulmonary hygiene, bowel and bladder function, sexuality and nutrition.
- Develop coping skills to enhance psychological adjustment to disability.
- Improve patients' ability to direct or perform self-care skills in bathing, dressing and feeding.
- Create independence in patients and families to direct all aspects of care.
- Improve mobility and transfer techniques through training in the use of wheelchairs and assistive devices.
- Establish a plan for skin management, wound care, pressure ulcers, and teach preventive techniques.
- Network into local and national support groups / organizations.
Our program is designed for patients with the following diagnoses / needs:
- Complete Spinal Cord Injury
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury
- Spinal Tumor
- Skin Management Program
- Spinal Infarction
- Spinal Stenosis
- Central Cord Syndrome
- Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Brown Sequard Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson's Disease
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Peripheral Neuropathies
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Upper and Lower Motor Neuron Diseases
- Other Neuromuscular Diseases
Approach to Care
Patients with spinal cord injury or neurological disease are faced with a multitude of complex problems which require a multidisciplinary approach. Our approach to care includes:
- Board Certified rehabilitation physicians.
- Physical therapy to maximize mobility, training in bracing, walking, the use of wheelchairs and other assistive devices.
- Occupational therapy to improve self-care skills in bathing, dressing, feeding, money management and pre-vocational skills.
- Speech therapy to improve swallowing and voice.
- Rehabilitation nursing to educate in nutrition, medication management, bowel and bladder function, sexuality, pulmonary hygiene, and skin management.
- Neuropsychology to help patients and their families adjust to the changes in lifestyle.
- Home evaluations to ensure a safe environment for patients as they transition back to a community / home setting.
- Community Support Groups.
Continuum of Care
Our rehabilitation program for spinal cord injury or neurological disease is based on a continuum of care. Individual patient needs are continuously reassessed during the rehabilitation process and care plans are adjusted as patients progress through the rehabilitation continuum. Care is available on an In-Patient and Out-Patient basis, and includes the following specialized services:
- Certified rehabilitation registered nurses
- Certified Wound Nurses
- Traditional Activities of Daily Living suite
- Outdoor Mobility Court
- Therapeutic Indoor Pool
- Community reintegration
- Manual and Power Wheelchair Clinic
- Referral service to appropriate resources and support systems
- Neuropsychologists / Neuro-optometrists
- Follow-up care will be scheduled for all patients with their referring physician upon discharge
- Functional Electrical Stimulation
For admissions information about our rehabilitation programs for spinal cord injury or neurological disease, please call the Marlton Rehabilitation Hospital Admissions Department at 856-988-4106.